David Robert Joseph Beckham is an English footballer who holds the all-time appearance record for an outfield player in the England national team. He is the only English player to score in three world cups. He has never received the FIFA World Player of the Year award but has been runner-up twice. In 2004, Beckham was the world’s best paid football player if you count both salary and advertising deals. In both 2003 and 2004, Beckham was Google’s most searched of all sports topics.
1991–1993 Manchester United
Years Team Apps Gls
1993–2003 Manchester United 266 61
1995 → Preston North End (loan) 5 2
2003–2007 Real Madrid 116 13
2007– Los Angeles Galaxy 74 15
2009 → Milan (loan) 18 2
2010 → Milan (loan) 11 0
1992–1993 England U18 3 0
1994–1996 England U21 9 0
1996–2009 England 115 17
As a child, Beckham attended Bobby Charlton’s football school and played for the Ridgeway Rover, a local youth team coached by Beckham’s father. He then attended Tottenham Hotspur’s school of excellence and joined the club, before switching to Brimsdown Rovers youth team for a two year stint. During his time in Bromsdown he was named Under-15 Player of the Year in 1990. On his fourteenth birthday, he signed for Manchester United and subsequently entered a Youth Training Scheme.
Beckham made his first appearance for United’s first-team in 1992 as a substitute in the League Cup match. Shortly thereafter, he signed his first professional contract. He made his UEFA Champions League debut in December 1994. During a part of the 1994/1995 season Backham was loaned to Preston North End, before returning to Manchester United to make his Premier League debut.
During his time with Manchester United, Beckham played 265 Premier League matches and scored 61 goals. He also made 81 appearances in Champions League where he scored 15 goals. Manchester United won six Premier League titles, one European Cup and one Intercontinental Cup.
In 2003, Beckham signed a four-year contract with Real Madrid. During Beckhams first season with Real Madrid, the team won the Spanish Super Cup and finishes second in Copa del Rey.
In 2007 Beckham signed up for five years with Los Angeles Galaxy. The cost of $6.5 million per year was not paid by Los Angeles Galaxy alone but by all the 14 MLS teams together since the goal of bringing Beckham to the United States was to boost the nation’s overall interest in soccer.
In 2008, Beckham was loaned to AC Milan. Eventually, a timeshare deal was reached were Beckham were to play with Galaxy från mid-July to the end of the 2009 MLS season, and then be loaned out ot Milan again. With Beckham on the team, Galaxy won the 2009 Western Conference final. He returned to AC Milan in January 2010, and went back to Galaxy in September to help them secure their second successive Western Conference title. During the following season, Beckham spent the entire season with Galaxy and the team won the 2011 MLS Cup.
- Beckham was born in Leytonstone, London in England in 1975.
- His mother is a hairdresser named Sandra Georgina Beckham and his father is a kitchen fitter named David Edward Alan “Ted” Beckham.
- Beckham has an older sister named Lynne Georgina and a younger sister named Joanne Louise.
- Growing up, Beckham attended church every week with his family. His maternal grandfather was Jewish and Beckham has described himself as ”half Jewish”.
- Beckham’s parents are both dedicated Manchester United fans and during David’s childhood they would often attend the team’s home games at Old Trafford.
- Beckham started dating Victoria Adams (of Spice Girls fame) in 1997 and the two were married in 1999. They have four children, Brooklyn Joseph (born 1999), Romeo James (born 2002), Cruz David (born 2005) and Harper Seven (born 2011).
- Beckham has founded a football school named David Beckham Academy in 2005. In 2009, it was announced that it would close and that a mobile travelling academy would be developed instead.
- Beckham is a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF with special focus on UNICEF’s Sports for Development program and the Unite for Children, Unite against AIDS campaign.
- Beckham is a spokesperson for Malaria No More.
- Since his move to the United States, Beckham has been active with charities linked to Major League Soccer, such as MLS W.O.R.K.S.